Tuesday, August 7, 2007

QAF vs. L Word -- is there really any doubt about the outcome of this one?

Well, to me there isn't! I'm finding that I have a somewhat unpopular opinion about this obviously gripping issue: I prefer Queer as Folk all the way. Yes, I know Shane is hot (and Carmen, and dead, dead Dana, and honestly I think I would be a better person if I could just keep Alice in my pocket and pop her out every time I needed a pick-me-up), but not a single episode goes by without me screaming at the screen about the fucking asinine storylines and/or dialogue. And Jenny. What the fuck, Jenny? Can I possibly hate you any more than I already hate you? I submit that I cannot. My biggest hope is that she floated off in that damn boat and will magically never be heard of again. I figure it won't be that surprising, considering the many, many loose ends that the writers have left floating in the aether.

But QAF, QAF, QAF...I mean, Brian Kinney. Need I say more? Everything I need to know about life I learned from Brian Kinney. Yes, I know the lesbian couple isn't believable, and the storylines are over-the-top, but if I could keep Emmett in my other pocket, across from Alice, my life would be complete.

Then there's the sex. No QAF is complete without a Brian/Justin sex scene (though occasionally the other characters got some, too), but it seems that as the L Word goes on, the sex is less and less a part of the show. Is it lesbian bed death already? If I must watch the show, at least give me something pretty to look at. Otherwise there's no point at ALL.

2 comments:

Dylan said...

Having a lesbian show on tv is a great step and I think that is why so many people are obsessed with the L Word and very rarely critical of it in any way. I find that the story lines, character development, continuity and even some of the characters themselves are very weak, not to mention, down right annoying. However, I still watch and enjoy it in a love to hate it kind of way. I wish I was more into gay men because I think I could really enjoy QAF. Maybe if I start from season one and make my way in, I just felt entirely lost attempting to join in once things were already rolling.

Ms. Avarice said...

i throughly enjoyed the first three seasons of q a f but got too busy to rent and watch 4 and 5. Yeah, some of the story lines for t l w are laughable but the thought of having emmet in one pocket and alice in the other is so fabulous! I would never want cigarettes, alcohol or anti depressants ever again! Yay!